mercredi 3 mai 2017

Since the tenkara season opening

It has been six weeks now that the trout season is open and I have not been fishing a lot because of the lack of time to dedicate and because the spring has not really settled in the area. If hawthorns and cherry trees whiten while anemones and daffodils flourish temperatures have remained really low.



 
Since the season opening the weather has been particularly dry and the small creeks have seen the water level significantly drop but low temperatures and strong winds do not encourage trout to activity. Fishing has been difficult but very interesting and very technical. 
A few weeks ago my friend and teacher Masami Sakakibara wrote this brief sentence which I think is a perfect summary of tenkara as a sport fishing: "The important thing is not the number of fish I take but how I catch them."
I have seen, as every year, gatherings of fishermen on the most easily accessible areas of certain rivers where the fishing associations put a large number of trout, salmo trutta stockus to be precise, and as every year they already evaporated leaving the field free for the better days to come.
If I have not been fishing a lot so far I have taken great pleasure and these few exits also offered me to harvest many feathers that will be very useful to me. But I will not deal with fly tying before the season ends.
I had been waiting for the long weekend of May 1st hoping for a truly springtime weather which I would enjoy on the banks of a stream but as a storm passed over the region it was not possible, I contented myself with an excellent reading on which I shall return in due time.
I wish each of you my fellow tenkara anglers to have a great trout fishing season! 


5 commentaires:

  1. Our trout season opened last Saturday. Too much water with all the snow melt. Be another month or so before we can get to the small streams upcountry.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Mark! I wish you a wonderful trout season in California!

      Supprimer
  2. Here in Nevada, we do not have a trout season but the snow melt determines how much water flows in the spring and if we have enough water in the late summer. I enjoy your posts.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Ron for following my modest contribution to the tenkara community!

      Supprimer
  3. I wish you a great trout fishing season as well! Tight lines Christophe!

    RépondreSupprimer