jeudi 16 mars 2017

Season opening 2017

As every year the final preparations for the trout season opening were made without eagerness on Friday night, the last thing I do after tying the last kebari and checking the contents of my bag is to print  my license.


I had tied some sakasa kebari a few days ago but I had to complete my box with models more suited to small streams that I fish at the season opening. The patterns are in fact the same but smaller in size and suitable for fishing in shallow water.
I also took a little bit of advance by tying the kebari that will fish in larger rivers where I will go fishing when the water level has dropped. For now they will remain in my box but no one knows if the heavy rains of the last few weeks may not occur again.


In the early evening I was ready, I had enough kebari to make the opening, I had printed my license which was duly stowed in my strap pack, my bag contained everything I could need during the day to come.  I was not worried about the state in which I was going to find the creek where I had planned to go for this opening day because I had made several visits there during the previous days and I knew that like many others it was in flood.


The long-awaited saturday  I did arrive shortly after eight o'clock on the banks of this brook, where I open the trout season every year. The weather was nice, the light was soft and the water looked a little less gray than the previous days. However, I did not start fishing when I arrived, I preferred to walk up the river until the temperature rises a little bit. 

Having reached a spot where I considered to be good, I did put my rod into action and began to fish. The high and cold water was not very favorable and I had to control the drift of my kebari to have a chance to make it pass into the holes where the trout hide under such circumstances. I had to ignore many spots because of the high water level but my efforts of accurate casts and controlled drifts were rewarded.


The important thing for me anyway for the opening is simply to be near a stream even if the conditions are horrible, like last year, and I can not fish at all. Of course it's even better when fishing is possible. I did catch a couple of beautiful brownies in the morning of this opening day and that is enough for my happiness.



I collapsed my rod back a little before noon, satisfied with the opening morning.
As every year I took the time to lunch near the river before turning back.
The season is just beginning and it has started well!








3 commentaires:

  1. That looks like a lovely morning, Chris! Great story!

    -Tom

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Chris,that was very nice opening day.
    Great story!

    RépondreSupprimer