jeudi 30 juin 2016

Tenkara during a sunny spell

The month of June comes to an end as it has been full of gray days, rain and storms; one must not let a single opportunity to go tenkara fishing because it is difficult to make forecasts as these weather conditions are unstable. A few sunny hours can be followed by a full day of rain or a storm. Rivers bear the scars of these recurrent rains, they remained stained as they were in April.


But as soon as there is a sunny spell trout show some activity. Eventually these frequent rains that keep the water at a low temperature is good for them, at least allows them to be quieter than usual because many anglers have decided to put the rods to rest. Personally I have chosen to fish but only for brief sessions of thirty minutes to an hour, it saves me the risk of being caught in the rain or the storm before you have at least a trout. 


I fish with my Yamato kebari and I must say it is a pleasure to see the trout rishing out of their shelters to pick it up. I would not trade a single kebari of this pattern for the whole word weighted nymphs because that would deprive me of seeing those little yellow and gray beasts rise to the surface.


Fishing a river that I do not visit often I think I have chosen the good stretch of it because the trout density is interesting and trout in question are very cooperative despite a rather dark water and the very few insects to emerge or drift dead on the surface.



I will of course not complain! Fishing even with difficult weather conditions, temperatures really below seasonal averages, and I can at any time be surprised by a downpour, is a thousand times more interesting and meaningful than thinking about fishing without being there.


Casting a fifteen feet tenkara rod into the river that is about thirty feet wide I easily get "natural" drifts, my short and light tippet makes my kebari drift in a way that must be very convincing because trout decide to come and bite it very quickly.



After fishing the straight part I arrived in a bend where the stream is very shallow, the water is a little clearer. Satisfied with this outing I was feeling that the time of the last cast had arrived but there is a quiet small area on the right side of the bend behind a big rock. It would be surprising that there is not a trout in that spot. I cast my Yamato kebari who barely has not time to start drifting before a trout takes it.  This is a big trout! I am  surprised but my hook setting is instinctively made in a very wide move.  The stream being very shallow that trout can not even try to swim to anywhere. I let it struggle on the wet gravel.


This is not a native brown trout, its dress betrays its origin but I noticed that its fins were in excellent condition so it is definitely a trout that survived its introduction in the river and did grow big in there.
I did raise it gently and released it exactly where I had just got it from. I did spend a few minutes to observe it in its shleter as it was catching its breath quietly. I did collapse my rod back and put back my line on a spool, it was time to go back home. Until the next sunny spell.

2 commentaires:

  1. I don't know what's worse. Your rain or our blasting heat. Either way, neither of us got much fishing in, but you definitely did better than I have. Maybe that will change tomorrow.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I try to see the good side of this cold and rainy beginning of summer but it would be great to have a little more of these sunny spells!

      Supprimer