dimanche 15 février 2015

Kujaku Ken-bari

I had planned to go for a hike yesterday to check some creeks where I will perhaps fish next month but because of the wind and rain I finally spent the day browsing my tenkara library and I did find by chance, which sometimes make good things happen, in an old issue of Headwater Magazine on a picture of a traditional tenkara pattern. This kebari inspired me and reminded me of a recent exchange with Anthony Naples about traditional fly patterns and regionality.

The name of this kebari is pretty simple and means "peacock fly".
As there are more and more people new to tenkara and fly-tying I decided not to keep this pattern for my self and to share a step by step tying sheet.

1-Fix in your vise a VMC 9408 size 8 hook and wrap the tying thread around the shank.


2- Select 15mm of natural silk thread, fold it in two equal parts and fix it on the hook with wraps of         tying thread.


3- Here is the result you will have: 


4- Build a tapered underbody with tight wraps of tying thread. 


5- Select three fibers on a peacock saber.


6- Fix these fibers on the hook with the thread then trim the excess.


7- Select three peacock herls and fix them to the hook with tight wraps of tying threads.


8- Twist the peacock herls around the tying thread. This will solidify the body of the kebari.


9- Turn the twisted peacock herls around the hook shank, stop it with the tying thread and trim the           excess of peacock herls.


10- Select a cock neck hackle feather and fix it with the tying thread on the hook. 


11- Make two turns with the hackle feather around the hook shank and stop it with tight wraps of           tying thread. Trim the excess.


12- Make a few turns of tying thread to get a neat head to your kebari then use a whip finish to block    the tying thread. Then cast thread off. Secure with glue if you will. 


I sincerely hope this detailed tying sheet will make you want to tie a few of these traditional patterns and have fun fishing with them.











4 commentaires:

  1. Excellent step by step! Thank you for sharing. I may just need to tie a few of these to add to my kebari assortment!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks Michael for this kind comment. My goal is to encourage anglers to tie their own kebari and feel how great it is to catch trouts on home made flies.

      Supprimer
  2. If I didn't already have a bunch of Peacock Herl, I could sneak down the street to Daffodil Hill and snatch one of their Peacocks. I'd be fixed for life. For now, I'm on hold since I've packed up all my tying gear in anticipation of moving.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. That's good news for me if this kind of post makes people want to tie flies!

      Supprimer