mardi 9 décembre 2014

WHAT KIND OF FEATHERS TO TIE TENKARA FLIES?

From time to time we hear or read about the "ten colors" of Tenkara and I think this expression is a bit intriguing for many but it really sums up the field of freedom that is tenkara.
Japanese tenkara is not the european fly fishing community which is divided in various sects generally busy in sterile controversies.
Fly tying is not an exception to the tenkara freedom and on can find that kebari go from ultra simple to highly sophisticated.
Yesterday tying my fly tying materials I did find back a bag of various quills and it just made me say "why not"!
It has been a long time since I have used quills in my tying as I have been using thread much more during the last seasons so I have tied a handful of quill bodied kebari.


I have always categorized the quills I used in two categories: those from fly shops generally dyed in bright colors and those from any bird that I find when hiking or fishing and it can be turkey, raven, magpie or even seagull!
It has never mattered to me that a feather is from a rare or common bird and I am sure that trout do not give a f#@k!

I propose you today a simple step by step fly tying sheet of a turkey quill bodied kebari. 

1) Insert a hook in the jaws of your vise. I did use a Tiemco 3769 size 10.


2) After winding the tying thread down the shank to the bend catch a quill fiber by its wider part by
    tight wraps of tying thread then wind the thread back towards the hook eye.


3) Wind the quill fiber around the shank on about 3/4 of its length then catch it in with tight wraps of     tying thread. Trim the excess of quill fiber.


4) Select a partridge flank feather, remove the fluff at the base and stroke the fibers back against the       grain.


5) Catch in the feather by the tip then trim the excess (above the hook eye). 


6) Take the feather by the stem with a hackle plier, position it vertically and gently bend all its fibers        towards the hook eye. Wrap the feather around the shank. 


7) After two or three wraps around the shank catch in the stem with tight wraps of tying thread then       remove the excess.


8) Build a neat head with tying thread, finish with several half hitches and cast off the thread. Your         kebari is ready to go fishing!


Now you have until the next season to season to tie some more!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire