lundi 10 février 2014

MY TAILWATER ZIMMERBUILT BACKPACK

As I did write a few days ago in a post on this blog I have decided not to use a fly vest anymore and I have got rid of it on an auction website. I had used it a lot but it was in perfect condition but I needed the money back to buy what I really need: a backpack.

I have done a bit of internet research a few weeks ago about fishing backpacks but I did not find anything that really was what I wanted. I even wondered if the people creating all these inadequate packs were anglers themselves then after posting some comments in a FB group about his fishing backpack my friend Adam Trahan did advice me to get in touch with Chris Zimmer, boss of Zimmerbuilt. And I have to say "Thanks" for this advice!


Before I got in touch with Chris Zimmer I did take a few days to seriously think about the kind of backpack I really need knowing that my fishing tackle has radically diminished in terms of weight and volume. Once I had a precise idea of what I wanted and needed I did get in touch with Chris Zimmer and in no longer than a day my backpack was created and fabricated...You read right! 
The Tailwater was created in a few emails and its fabrication was finished in the evening. The only things left to do were pay and wait! Three days later I had my hands on it.


I have chosen a Tailwater backpack that has a volume of 1300 ci and a weight of 8.75 oz. It is made of Dyneema which is an extremely light and strong fiber.
A standard Tailwater has almost what I wanted but I asked Chris Zimmer to modify a few details on my own pack. 
I wanted a zippered mesh compartment under the hydration tank hook. It will allow me to safely carry my keys, fishing license, ID card, etc. Once you have lost your keys and realize long hours after it is not worth starting searching it. I unfortunately know what I am writing about!


The standard Tailwater has two rod sleeves on which I have asked Chris Zimmer to add some elastic strings just in case I would one or two rods without their tubes that would avoid the rods to move within the sleeves. I never could stand the feeling of carrying something jolty when I walk.


The 3D shoulder straps are less padded than the average and that is a good thing in my opinion because with only 1300 ci of volume one will never have a big weight to carry, of course if one packs only what is truly useful for a fishing outing. Furthermore a heavy padding retains heat to the body. The shoulder straps also have daisy chains to allow the use of accessories. The sternm strap buckle includes a survival whistle.


To hold your rods immobile the Tailwater has two Dyneema sleeves plus two elastics with cord locks under the upper zip. I consider this solution much better than what I have seen among competitors because their locking system is unconvincing. The front of the Tailwater features two daisy chains with shock cord that allow the complete immobilisation of the bag contents and adding accessories without having to sew yourself.



Of course the Tailwater is made of waterproof fabric and the zipper is also waterproof. As one can see on the picture above there is no padding in the back and in my opinion that is a good thing for a backpack which is not destined to one day fishing outing. Heavy padding makes most of backpacks portable ovens. 
All in all I am sure to have found a backpack that really matches my needs and for a price lower than most of standard products sold by competitors. 

I only have to wait for a few weeks for the field baptism of this stunner backpack.






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire